Sautéed Bitter Melon with Egg
This recipe is not my mother’s recipe. I tasted it for the first time in a Chinese restaurant. It was so tasty that I tried it out at home. Great results! I found out later that this sautéed bitter melon with egg is actually originated from Thailand or Vietnam. I cooked this dish according to my own preference, which is sweeter than others, and also softer.
One bitter melon
Two eggs, preferably organic eggs
Crushed garlic, one tbsp
Organic coconut oil, one tbsp
Water, 1/2 cup
Soya sauce, 2 tbsp
Organic raw sugar, 1 tbsp
Cutting and Preparation Directions:
As described in my previous post, cut and prepare the bitter melon before starting to cook. I am repeating the steps here:
Step 1: Cut the melon first into halves, and then quarters.
Step 2: Use a spoon to remove the seeds and the white pulp.
Step 3: Cut into small pieces.
Step 4: Bring a pan of water to a boil. Add the cut bitter melon, and boil for about 3 mins. This procedure is used to decrease the bitterness and to soften the melon. If you don’t want it to be too soft, decrease the time of boiling to 1 to 2 min.
Step 5: Remove the bitter melon pieces from the pan and drain, and let them stand.
Step 6: If you are not cooking it tonight, refrigerate all the pieces. As it takes so many steps to prepare the bitter melon, for busy people, it is advisable to separate the preparation from the cooking, so that you will have ample time to handle.
1. Tonight, you want to use the bitter melon to make this dish. Take it out from the refrigerator. Put the pieces of bitter melon into a boiling pan of water, and cook again for 1 mins, or until it is boiled. If you like it more crunchy, take the pieces out immediately after it is boiled. As I like it softer, I will leave it boiled for 1 min.
2. Take the pieces of bitter melon out, and drain. Put it aside.
3. Beat the eggs in a bowl.
4. Heat the pan again. Add oil and the garlic until garlic is brownish.
5. Lower the fire to medium hot. Add the bitter melon back to the pan, keep sautéing.
6. Add the eggs and keep sautéing till the eggs are cooked.
7. Add soya sauce and sugar to taste. Adjust the amount according to your own preference. Then turn off the
Now your dish of sautéed bitter melon with egg is ready. Serve with or without rice. Try it out and let me know if you like it. My next post is still bitter melon, but that is my mother’s recipe, my favorite one! Stay tuned!